Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Praying in songs

I don't handle silence well. I never have. I've gotten better at stillness and silence as an adult but only because if the necessity of it as a spiritual discipline. Trust me if God didn't show up in the silence I wouldn't go there!

In prayer this gets odd in corporate settings. If I'm silent my mind runs a million miles. If I talk i sound a bit like a mad man. Normally I write or sing my prayers to God as way to keep focused. Until recently the singing of my prayers felt too intimate to have in corporate settings. But I've found the last 6 weeks God has called me to sing over people, to sing my prayers to His throne, and to confess my own self through song.

At our weekly prayer and praise at Church I felt compelled to combine the two. I wrote and sung simultaneous. This is the result. (note I've done no editing since I originally sung/prayed this.)

Help us be transparent and holy.
If we are a family then let us be real.
Pull us, don't let go of us.
Lord would You bring revival?
Cause us to speak the words that need to be spoken.
Cause us to lay down these heavy burdens.
Pull us, don't let us go.
Lord would You bring revival.
Revival.
Bring these dead bones, bring dead hearts, bring our weary souls back to life.
You are good and Your mercy endures forever and I  know You.. Oh,
Won't let us go. You've never failed.
And as we rise up, You are with us.
Hold us, together. Hold us as one.
And we will find You, in one another.
So take my hands bind them together with my sister and my brother and we will move more more into You.

I can be, who I am.
They can be, who they are.
But we are being made new in You and everything will change, and all will rearrange and we'll have hope.

So praise the Lord. Praise the Lord.
For You are good, for You are good.

Your voice tied to words my mind can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment