Thursday, April 3, 2014

In Search for a Holy God: Redeeming Spirit, Mind, and Body

I have a confession. 

I struggle to confess. 

I lack strength to say when I've been wrong. I think sin left my vocabulary many years ago. When I no longer struggled with lust, I figured the rest of my past was just that - in the past. I was a new creation, abundantly living in the King. But sin lurked at the door, I invited it into my living room, and it took up residence but this time sin had a new name - please meet "This is who I am". 

I have another confession.

I have doubted God is big enough. The hole in my heart is large, the desires of my soul so deep I could drown in their waters - and I fear God isn't big enough to fit. If you are a child of the Christian 90's or 2000's you probably heard "God Shaped Hole" by Plumb. But what if that hole is so large and vast that even God Himself is not big enough to fill it? And to be honest, being in church, seminary and community has furthered this belief - that God isn't big enough to fill this void, because He made it too large for Himself. Yes God is the only way we are whole, yet the Body is the place we find fulfillment.

_________________________________________________

On a recent car ride home from visiting one of my many sisters in college, the conversation got heated between my husband and me. He was poking at a wound, and me being the lion I am - I roared to consume rather than realize my need to confess the pain and accept the help from the other to be healed. 
Like most of our conversations it was about God, faith and family. As many other millennials have recently confessed, I was wounded by this faith I had walked into. It seems almost every day I read some blog or note about my generation leaving the church, of walking away from this institution. I understand, it's a hot button issue - we want to love but the politics and "God's side" of issues have been a death grip around our culture. Rather than sprouting forth love, by witnessing the Trinity's perichoresis we've pointed the world to a God of death and judgment, where we are the judges and God a mere puppet of our wisdom. 
While I have my own battle wounds over the last two decades of church going, and my story of trying to leave Her - I am here in the Church, pursuing God's calling to be a pastor. But I am not as wounded my church as I thought I was, and I can forgive Her transgressions - for she is a flawed vessel. See the conversation my husband and I had brought up the deep issue.

I have been hurt by God.
_________________________________________________________

It's a cliché I'm sure. But the fact remains, the pains in my heart revolves around my Creator - or so it seems. 
__________________________________________________________

I believe the prophetic word should be like the breath that formed all of creation. It is not by my own breath, mind, or words but when the Spirit falls and prophetic utterance takes place the possibilities are endless. This Ruach ha-Kadosh formed the seas, the skies, breathing life into these very bones. When this same Holy Spirit speaks through us, these broken vessels, fragile beings, She brings forth the same power and authority, love and creativity on the day of Creation. I believe it in the very depths of my core. That the touch of God causes healing, and it's not a healing where poof and it's magically fixed, but a touch that goes into the very DNA of the person, causing the cells to be corrected in a miraculous and holistic manner. I know this may sound superfluous - but the Holy Spirit heals us in bodily ways, often messy human hands, and the touch of God changes the very fiber of our being. I can't say this strong enough. I can't express it full enough. These words fail to express the need for a bodily touch of the Spirit, and the fact that the Spirit does respond in these ways. 
The Son became human, taking on the fullness of man and of God to make space for us, and the Spirit rested on Him inviting us to partake in this Holy Communion. We are not making space in these cobwebbed hearts of ours, but rather the Creator of the universe, the Holy One is inviting us to join in them. We get to witness the love of the Trinity, fully and beautifully - and we are never the same. When the Spirit draws us into the Trinitarian community we are marked, ruined for the ordinary and our taste is for the divine. But the Spirit does not draw us spirits only - being a mere decapitated soul. NO! The Spirit invites our body - the all of our humanity to be redeemed, to be marked by this dance and to witness to the world their beauty. 
__________________________________________________________
As we drove home I wept. For I feared God was not like I dreamt. That the God whom I formed my every thought around, whom I met in the nights of pain, and in the days of ecstatic joy was not the real God. I feared in my confession I would find Elohim to be a fraud, and I would be the fool that believed. I feared if I confessed that I truly believed that God worked I would be disappointed. See bodily change takes risk. To believe God can change my heart, well that's easy to measure - I may get an emotional high today, and next week it'll be gone but for a season God moved. The body is not so easily manipulated. I cannot fake my wholeness.
-------
I was 13. Going on my first mission trip. My youth group and I were going to Alaska. The night before we were to fly up there we were practicing one of our dramas. I was a party girl (the polar opposite of my adolescent self) and was holding a beer bottle, and at one point would fall on the ground in sight of the holy. Well something went wrong, and when I fell my wrist hit the bottle and pain surged through my body. Trying to be strong, I attempted to not make it a big deal. I didn't want them to see my weakness (which has so many thing wrong with it, but that's for another time) so I cried outside, alone till I could come back inside. After practice I went home, and my wrist swelled overnight, so my mom took me to the doctor before I was to get on the plane. I had fractured my wrist - you know one of those hairline fractures that would've been less painful and easier to heal if had fully broken. The doctor gave me a brace and I headed to Alaska. After arriving in Anchorage, we met up with several hundred youth at a church service in preparation for our mission’s week. In the service I felt the Spirit say my wrist was healed. I took off my brace in faith that the Spirit had spoken, and proceeded to act out my healing. After the service when one of the adults saw, they told me to put back on the brace. Me, in my cowardice, and deep desire to be accepted, simply put on the brace without ever telling them why I had taken it off. A seemingly small instance, but the next 10 years my wrist would still pop under certain weight, and for the first five years I couldn't carry anything heavy without intense pain. It was my marker, my sign that the institution didn't recognize me, and that I didn't have enough faith for healing to happen. In response I rejected a God who wouldn't touch my body, and lost so much faith in the process.
--------
Living in a Pentecostal context, people would often ask for prayers of healing. Yet when others would ask for healing prayers, I wouldn't touch the person - for fear my touch would be the 'faith zapper' making void all the other prayers. I knew I didn't have enough faith and feared I would be the preventing hand. Being a follower of Jesus I knew I should ask for my own healing, though anytime I asked for healing the double mindedness was so consuming I hated myself. In order to handle this bodily rejection, God became the God of my mind, an intellectual playmate of sorts. In the nights where the darkness would creep, the name of Jesus cast out fear and caused peace. Through counseling the Spirit rested on me, and I would sing His praises again. But the God that carried my Body... I wasn't so sure. It was during these immediate years after the mission trip experience that my eyes had a weird healing experience. Having been born with a very bad lazy eye, I had surgery at three and wore bifocals from that point on. Then one day between the ages of 12-15 my glasses broke, and I could see. I could really truly see without them. I was healed! But as the months and years went by, my eyes grew tired. And I could not see as clearly. Soon the headaches would set in, and I needed glasses again. This time not bifocals, but still glasses had to be worn. Once again I didn't have enough faith, God couldn't fully heal me. I would become a product of a half-healing.
___________________________________________________
In a faith that often saw mental illness as demons, and physical handicaps often the result of sin or the enemy - I had no theology for lingering 'otherness'. Then my brother-in-law was diagnosed with Asperger’s, my little sister as well would be found on the spectrum. My husband struggled with depression, and I went through dark post-partum after the birth of our daughter. Both of my childhood best friends lost their mother's to breast cancer - though both had claimed healing in Jesus. Our bodies were being affected, they were fallen and I needed a God who cared. He was not absent, but His timing seemed so very slow. Yet His response turned everything upside down; through my two best friends, Hannah and Jenna. 
-----
Jenna is a mom of two, a lively soul who reminds me of the joys of God. She has blood pressure problems, and a number of allergies that prevent her from "normal" living. Her body isn't strong, and work is taxing - but God has made a way for her to revel in her children and in His nature. She is one of the most intelligent people I've ever met, though she lacks a degree. Yet one night at a prayer meeting God called me to pray for her healing as she asked the congregation to do so. I went and touched Jenna on the top of her head down to then down to her toes, and wept. The next week she testified to being healed of that specific allergy.

Hannah has cerebral palsy. Her heart is strong, and she has faced death so many times - yet she perseveres. God spoke a promise of healing, and every day we seek His face for this holistic healing. She has to wear noise canceling headphones because sound hurts so much. Her body aches in ways I can't imagine. Yet she cares so deeply for the other, her empathy is like that of our Eternal Intercessor. She has committed her steps to the Lord, though her feet may drag and her spirit may feel broken - she hasn't given up. In a church service God called me to anoint her feet, as the oil dripped and my tears ran; I'm still believing for her healing. 
-------
I have been marked. Hannah's very presence has changed me, the structure of my heart has been affected. From her I love in ways I didn't know was possible. Jenna has torn down so many walls, allowing me to believe in friends again. Her vibrate spirituality has challenged me to believe in a playful God again.
__________________________________________________________
See I believe in a Holy God, one who is not disinterested in our bodies, but rejoices in them. I believe in a Holy Spirit who changes us, causing right all that has been wrong. When we see a broken mind - the Spirit can make it right! It may be in the whisper of days, months and years – but oh for the glorious moments of fire that causes immediate and complete change! I believe that the prophetic is alive today, and we are invited to participate in the Spirit’s work of illuminating the broken to God’s love.

I believe because my mind can’t be greater than God’s. My imagination cannot be more beautiful than the Creator’s. My love for the other is a shadowed reflection compared to the Son’s. My desire for transformation is a small drop in the Spirit’s brooding over all creation.


I don’t feel it. Often I feel the exact opposite. I'm left wondering why God is dead. I wonder why Hannah’s body is still broken, why Jenna isn’t whole, why J's mind is still conflicted, why F doesn’t see, why our church is so full of broken people….. But perhaps it is in this desert, that the new creation is being made. That in the drought, the seemingly absent Spirit is holding us here, drawing us deeper than we ever knew, to a place of intimacy that we wouldn’t see otherwise. I wish it felt good, I wish I believed in my emotions. Honestly I doubt, there are spaces of fear so strong I want to run away from this place. But I have been marked – I have seen the backside of the Lord and I believe He will show His face. I am choosing to stay – not because I feel like it, but because all I am affirms His truth and I will have faith in this tension of already and not yet to abide. Oh Holy Spirit rest on us, draw us into this holy communion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment