Monday, April 8, 2013

Be Still My Soul

Very often I am discontent, looking longingly to a future yet known. This results in a lack of compassion for today, and even more a lack of passion and vision for God's work in the present. As I prayed for the Lord to direct me to a song this morning (my access of prayer to my Creator) I was led to the 16th Hymn in my Penguin Book of Hymns. It is called Be Still My Soul, and was written in Germany sometime in the 18th century but was translated into English in the 19th century by Jane Borthwick who published a book of translated German hymns with her sister Sarah Findlater.

Being a doer, as one who loves to serve, fix and organize I find the phrase "be still" to be almost oxymoronic and at the least completely foreign. But it is in these times with my Father I find the need to simply 'be' and let the Spirit minister to be. I hope the blessing of this hymn will impose the same ability to 'be still' with our Father for you as it did for me. Whether it is read or sung (to which I made up my own melody) it is an assuring reminder of our God's sovereignty.


Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment