Thursday, April 11, 2013

Resting

Jean Sophia Pigottt.

Never knew that name before today. But she is the author of one of my favorite hymns - Jesus, I am Resting, Resting. She was the eldest of family in Ireland in the mid-19th century. Her brother was a missionary to China, who murdered in the Boxer Rebellion of 1901. Her most famous three hymns was the aforementioned, Lord Jesus, Thou Dost Keep Thy Child, and Thou Whose Name Is Called Jesus. Just by the titles alone you seen a trend of a woman loving her Savior. She wrote a collection of poems and hymns called "A Royal Service" - a book you can buy on Amazon still.

I've been singing the lyrics, Jesus I am Resting, Resting, fairly consistently. Which if you know me is a bit funny. I don't rest, at least not in Jesus typically. I throw myself into my bed desperately seeking the solitutde and respite it offers - often because I don't take time to 'be' or rest during the rest of the day. My mind is churning a million miles a minute, my body fidgets waiting for the next action to be taken. Yet I often fall into sleep no more fulfilled than if I have sat on my bum all day.

The amazing things the internet allows! After searching Jean Sophia, one of the listings was were gravesite. I love cemetery's  especially old ones, walking through discovering the history and stories of those who have gone before. It can be quite a humbling, and even a spiritually renewing time. On the inscription of Jean Sophia Pigott's tombstone it says this,

Jean Sophia Pigott

who fell asleep in Jesus
Octbr 12, 1882
until the day break
and the shadows
flee away

"I shall be satisfied when
I awake with thy likeness".
PS. 17.15


She simply fell asleep in Jesus. The Psalm in reference to her death, is beautiful. There is no mention of her fame, her authorship, no great work mentioned. Yet if I came across her grave by accident I would wonder who was the women who loved her Savior? Will I leave such a remnant behind? In my death and in my life will others see me as lover of my Savior, a reflection of Jesus?

Here is the hymn in its entirety.


Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.


Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.


O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.


Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:
Thine is love indeed!


Ever lift Thy face upon me
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory,
Sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.


Oh precious Lord, sweet Jesus... Help me to keep trusting, to behold You Love, and know only it can satisfy these longings, these desires are met in You. I want to rest, in the midst of the chaos, as my world spins on a mad top - help me to rest in You. You are great, You are bright, You are good. Full of good grace, lift my face to Thee. Thank you Lord for Your love, Your kindness, Your faithfulness - draw me to action, draw me to rest - draw me to You.




No comments:

Post a Comment