Monday, April 15, 2013

Small

Today has not started how I planned. But Mondays never do, something in their DNA demands derailing of plans. This particular morning it was a cockroach.

How quickly! How fleeting is this life.
Squashed under the boot of one so large,
the bug that derailed my morning was gone.
How much so is my life!
Blissfully unaware of the impending doom,
Awaiting simply to be squashed by the days.
Or perhaps there awaits,
a greater morn, a more glorious death?
I am no more than mere cosmic dust,
blowing to and fro in the wind?
Here today, and gone tomorrow.
Yet Oh Lord, Your boot I need not fear,
Your love much more than I to a bug.
While my time here is short,
You offer opportunity for joy, and great.
I need not cower in the dark
for fear of the boot.
But rather race into the light,
a child of the Most High!
Help my anger, help my rage,
help my sorrows to not overcome me.
Heal these wounds, exhort these sins,
Speak life into these weary bones.
I have no fear in life, no fear in death,
and as I look longingly to heaven's shore
You are here as I go.
Though I am small, Your Love reaches
Across the chasms of death into my life.
I need not thirst ev'r again,
As abundant life is found in Your waters.
I will swim in their depths,
Sinking until the Water overcomes me.
Baptize me with Your song,
Changing evermore my selfish melody.
Draw me into Your folds of Love,
and I will be a light of Thine Light throughout.
I will be Yours, and precious Jesus,
You, You are my mine.
I have not earned such great allowance.
Nor do I deserve such a gift.
Yet You are, therefore I can.

Inspired by John Newton's "Glorious Things Of Thee Are Spoken" and Luke 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment